Patient Services Representative
JOB TITLE: Patient Services Representative
DEPARTMENT: Patient Services
REPORTS TO: Nurse Administrator
FLSA STATUS: Full time; Non-exempt (Hourly)
LOCATION: Howard Brown Sheridan
HOWARD BROWN HEALTH is an innovative health and human service organization focusing on the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. Howard Brown provides a unique network of programs and services to the community, addressing the medical, social and research needs of its clients. To learn more about our Howard Brown Health, please see our web page at www.howardbrown.org.
Under direction of the Nurse Administrator, the Patient Services Representative provides a variety of reception services for clients, patients, and visitors including: greets and directs all visitors, collects and records client/patient payments, assists in obtaining all third party payer information, conducts financial assessments, answers and directs phone calls, schedules appointments, calls clients to confirm their appointments, calls clients when schedules change to reschedule clients; ensures that all client/patient services rendered are entered into the data base on a daily basis. Performs daily check-in and check-out procedures accurately and efficiently for all clients/patients seen at Howard Brown Health. Maintains and retains a customer service attitude at all times to ensure patient satisfaction.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Greet and direct all Howard Brown Health visitors with behaviors that balance professionalism and create customer loyalty. Notify Howard Brown staff of all visitors, take messages and provide basic referral information within the scope of knowledge and training.
- Focuses on customer’s well-being and HIPAA compliance
- Distribute Howard Brown employment applications to visitors/applicants. Notify interviewing manager of applicant upon completion of application, as needed.
- Distribute and receive registration packet for clients/patients.
- Input demographic information, billing information and insurance into medical management system.
- Conduct financial assessments for designated patients as described in the policy and procedure.
- Verify insurance benefits for all new patients, upon change of insurance coverage, and/or an annual basis. Document covered benefits on the insurance verification form.
- Educate clients regarding all financial and insurance benefits, government funds, grant, and drug reimbursement programs. Ensure all requirements are met.
- Assist Patient Accounts Manager in billing and collection of patient accounts.
- Collects co-payments
- Checks ID and Insurance card for all visits
- Ensure patient compliance with agreed payment plan.
- Assist in development and revision of billing policies and procedures.
- Develop familiarity with Howard Brown’s program and funding sources and communicate and enforce eligibility requirements to clients.
- Participate in agency wide quality assurance and improvement as needed.
- Reviews procedures and makes suggestions for improvements that will positively affect patient loyalty, employee comfort- and Howard Brown’s profitability
- Maintain patient and financial records within standard medical record and accounting and HIPAA procedures.
- Check-in and check-out all patients using the time clock within medical management system.
- Schedule appointments for client/patient care including all follow-up appointments.
- Maintain balanced cash banks for all research studies stipends and cash drawer.
- Input third party reimbursements (Medicaid, Medicare, and Insurance) into medical management system via batch processing as needed.
- Verifies Insurance is accurate and up to date
- Maintains established department and billing policies, procedures, objectives, and quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control and suggests corrections or process improvements
- Generates patient referrals to medical specialists as ordered by Primary Care Providers (PCP), using the appropriate channels as dictated by the patient’s health insurance carrier.
- Assists patients with identifying appropriate pharmaceutical industry patient assistance programs for medications prescribed by a Howard Brown Health PCP. Collaborates with patient to prepare and submit applications as appropriate.
- Consults with potential clients seeking medical services in order to identify most suitable setting for their individual healthcare needs.
- Safeguards confidentiality of the medical charts/records and complies with all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to medical records. Complies with all HIPAA and other privacy and security regulations.
- Participates as a team member with Medical Services staff, attending Medical Services meetings and continuing education in-services.
- Adheres to Howard Brown Core Values and Customer Service Expectations
- Participate in emergency preparedness plan as dictated by the policy and procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration
- Some Saturdays and evening hours required.
- Space is limited and must be shared for most appropriate usage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school diploma.
- Experience in medical records and/or medical data entry required.
- Computer literacy required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Spanish speaking and experience in CPT and ICD-9 coding desirable.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at HBH Care made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.