Be Yourself. Make Friends. Get Connected to Resources.
Broadway Youth Center is here to improve the health and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth experiencing homelessness and other underserved youth by providing youth-centered, integrated healthcare and social services. BYC sees anyone, regardless of ability to pay.
BYC provides basic needs assistance, resource advocacy, mental wellness supports, and education/vocational services. We consider ourselves a one-stop shop and try to meet as many needs as possible for the people that we serve.
To reach BYC, please call 773.388.1600
Broadway Youth Center
1023 W. Irving Park
Broadway Youth Center provides the following services to youth ages 12 – 24:
- Sexual and reproductive health services, including HIV/STI screening – Walk-in only
- Primary care services, including PrEP, pregnancy tests, birth control options, vaccines, psychiatry, and basic needs – Walk-in only
- Drop-in for a safe space for client to access to basic needs, food, clothing, showers, sleeping room, and programming.
- Resource Advocacy services, including assistance with housing, ID vouchers, gender affirming resources and navigation support, and other client assistance
- Gender-affirming hormone therapy for people 18 and up.
- One-on-one assistance signing up for health insurance
- Mental wellness support
- Weekly evening programming on trans and nonbinary young people
Internships at Broadway Youth Center
Howard Brown Health’s Broadway Youth Center will begin to accept interns for their youth social services department. The Broadway Youth Center provides wrap around services for young people who are experiencing homelessness between the ages of 18-24. These social services include drop-in/basic needs including showers, laundry, food, and napping areas. Additionally, our Resource Advocacy program provides housing navigation and case management for young people. Interns will have the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience in the field of social services, supporting young people through some of the most challenging times of their lives.
We are looking to develop our next social services leaders with this internship opportunity! This opportunity is for you if you:
- Have the ability to work with others and come up with new ideas.
- Have a strong desire to help those in need – more specifically youth experiencing homelessness.
- If it is energizing for you to witness and contribute to young person’s success.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or masters level student of social services, psychology, or related field
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide supervising practicum hours from a clinician
- Must adhere to minimum of three month commitment or 250 hours
- Specific qualifications will be based on internship details
- Compassion, empathy and resilience
Timeline: Rolling Basis (priority given to those who can start before or by January 2023).
Length of Internship: a three months commitment or a minimum of 250 hours
Number of Interns Needed: Five (two for Drop In; two for Resource Advocacy; one Rotating/Floating Intern)
Compensation: Unpaid To apply please contact email@example.com – with resume attached.
Youth Action Board
The Youth Action Board is currently recruiting!
The Broadway Youth Center (BYC) Youth Action Board is a group of young people who provide input on services and help inform BYC’s programs and care. To join the Youth Action Board, you must be a current client or patient at BYC.
The Youth Action Board advises BYC on ways to better serve youth experiencing homelessness and youth that are unstably housed. It’s an opportunity to meet other young people, learn skills you can use in the future, and advocate for youth.
Our areas of focus are:
- Empowering the voice of youth and patients
- Leadership building
- Community engagement
The Youth Action Board meets every two weeks for the first three months, then once per month for the remaining nine months. Members are expected to attend at least 12 out of 15 sessions (80%).
Members of the Youth Action Board are provided meals during meetings and compensated for their time.
If you have questions about the Youth Action Board, contact Deja or Sheldon at DejaD@howardbrown.org and ESheldon@howardbrown.org.