Be Yourself. Make Friends. Get Connected to Resources.
For more than 1,500 teens and young adults, the Broadway Youth Center (BYC) of Howard Brown Health is a haven for LGBTQ youth and young people experiencing homelessness or housing instability. Here they seek refuge and community as well as medical, social and mental health care services, and so much more. All of our services are for youth, ages 12 to 24. BYC sees anyone, regardless of ability to pay. To reach BYC, please call 773.388.1600 ext 9. Located at 4009 N. Broadway, BYC also offers confidential HIV testing and STI screenings for chlamydia/gonorrhea (urine test) with results in one week. Syphilis testing is provided during Health Services Clinic hours (listed below). Need your test results or want to find out if they’re in? Contact one of our health educators at 773.299.7621. No appointments necessary, walk-ins only.
Health Services Clinic Hours Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: Noon – 8 pm, last appointment taken at 7pm.
Services Provided by Broadway Youth Center:
- HIV/STI testing
- Health services clinic, including gender-affirming hormone therapy, PrEP, pregnancy tests, birth control options, vaccines, and basic needs medical care
- One-on-one assistance signing up for health insurance
- Resource advocacy, including ID replacement, housing referrals, food stamp and job application assistance
- Drop-in services (e.g., food, clothing, youth-led programming and leadership opportunities)
- GED program, high school and college tutoring, or college application and scholarship assistance
- Community Outreach and Education
- Behavioral Health Services
Want to donate to the BYC? Please call Channyn Lynne Parker at 773.388.1600, ext. 7624 or ChannynP@howardbrown.org
BYC offers free HIV/STI testing and couples counseling Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: Noon – 7 p.m. (Last appointment taken at 6:45 p.m.). You can also speak with one of our health educators no appointments necessary, walk-in only. BYC offers confidential HIV testing with same day results and STI screenings for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea/Syphilis with results in 7-10 days.
Need your results? Results line can be reached at 773.299.7621.
Health Services Clinic
With the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you may qualify for free expanded healthcare! We can meet with you one-on-one to discuss your healthcare options. We will explain information in simple and plain language, answer your questions, and enroll you in healthcare benefits that best fit your needs. The Benefits Enrollment Counselor works with other BYC and Howard Brown Health programs to provide resources and referrals for healthcare specifically tailored for youth and transgender individuals. For questions about ACA and assistance enrolling in healthcare benefits, call Cassie Warren at 773.388.1600 ext 9. BYC offers treatment for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomaniasis (trich), bacterial vaginosis (BV), yeast infections, HPV (warts), and HSV (herpes). Provides pregnancy tests/options, birth control options, gender-affirming hormone therapy, PrEP, and basic medication and flu/cold season care. No appointments necessary. Walk-ins only.
Available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
9 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
BYC provides referrals for housing/shelter, identification needs, employment assistance, and basic needs. This program can be accessed through drop-in services or by appointment. For an appointment call Ebonii Warren-Watts at 773.299.7920
Drop in Services
Available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
Breakfast Club, 9 – 11 a.m.
Basic needs drop-in/lunch, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Daytime programming, 3 – 5 p.m.
(laundry and showers available 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Offers a safe space for LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness to access:
- A place to hang out with your friends, dance and listen to music, make some phone calls, pick up some supplies, and get something to eat Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: Noon – 3 p.m.
- Clothing Vouchers Wednesday, 11 a.m. Limited slots available and must be scheduled in advance with a resource advocate. For house/furnishing needs, contact a resource advocate for an individual visit.
- Laundry Please sign up Fridays at 1:30 p.m. during Drop-In hours. Laundry will happen at 4:30 p.m. at an off-site location. Meet at Wellington Ave UCC.
- Youth Food Bank By appointment with a resource advocate or during Drop-In hours.
- Peer Advocate Project Project for and by youth of color that builds youth leadership through harm reduction, anti-violence, and anti-oppression frameworks. For more info, contact Maya Patitucci-Cruz at 773.299.7626 or email@example.com
- Community Meetings and Youth-Led Workshops For more info, contact Mayadet Patitucci-Cruz at 773.299.7616 or mayadetPC@howardbrown.org.
Drop-in therapy: Monday 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.; Thursday Noon – 1 p.m.; Friday Noon – 1 p.m.
Therapy also available by appointment. Call 773.388.1600 ext 9 for availability and appointments.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
5 – 7 p.m.
To schedule an appointment for the GED program, high school and college tutoring, or college application and scholarship assistance, contact Adrianna Collis at 773.299.7601 or adriannaC@howardbrown.org.
FAB (Fridays At Broadway)
Broadway Youth Center 4009 N Broadway, Friday: 5 – 7 p.m.
FAB is a fun and engaging program that provides space to talk about sex and sexual health in an affirming, sex-positive and trauma-informed way.
TYRA Broadway Youth Center 4009 N Broadway, Thursday: 5 – 7 p.m. TYRA is a fabulous group for transgender and gender nonconforming youth 12-24 to share a meal and talk about issues affecting our community. For more info, contact Trisha Holloway at firstname.lastname@example.org
WOOSAAHH (Working On Our Spirits to Address Anger, Hostility and Hatred)
Broadway Youth Center 4009 N Broadway, Monday: 5 – 7 p.m.
WOOSAAHH is part of our new Violence Prevention Program and aims to reduce the cycles of violence in the many ways it presents in young people’s lives using music, discussions, comedy and more.
Community Outreach and Education
Workshops and presentations: With the goal of HIV/STI prevention for young people, workshops include topics of sexual/reproductive health, safer sex, healthy relationships, self-esteem, transgender 101, how to be an ally and more. These workshops are inclusive of all genders and can be tailored to youth, service providers, and adult ally audiences on a sliding scale fee.
Tabling and testing: BYC is happy to support partners in events that promote the health and well-being of youth and LGBTQ folks. In addition to HIV/STI testing, we provide information on BYC services, educational materials and free safer-sex materials including a variety of condoms, latex and non-latex barriers (dental dams, finger cots, gloves), and lubricants. If you are interested in partnering with the BYC for Community Outreach and Education, contact Carnesha Johnson at CarneshaJ@howardbrown.org.