Your Appointments, Closer to Home than Ever
Howard Brown Health provides remote appointments, allowing you to access your clinical team by video consultation. This mode of care is called “telehealth” and enables you to see and speak with a provider from the comfort and safety of your own home.
How Telehealth Works
You can get started with telehealth by calling Howard Brown at 773.388.1600 and requesting a visit. You can also request a telehealth appointment by signing up for our new patient portal through MyChart. As a patient, you will need access to email and a video-capable smart phone or a computer with an enabled video camera, microphone, and speaker. If you don’t have access to a computer or video-capable smart phone, ask us about other options for your visit. You will receive an email before your appointment with a link to access your appointment. Please click on the link 10 minutes before your appointment time, you can connect on your computer or phone and will be face-to-face with a medical provider.
Common types of telehealth visits:
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, HIV, and PrEP follow-up appointments
- Medication refills
- Upper respiratory infections
- Hormone therapy
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Sexual health
While most common needs can be addressed completely via telehealth, a provider may direct you to the appropriate clinic if you need an in-person follow-up or labs.
Insurance will be billed for your telehealth visit. All telehealth visits are eligible for our sliding scale fees. Any co-pays can be paid over the phone with a Patient Service Representative. If you are not able to pay over the phone, a bill will be sent to you in the mail.
To set up a telemedicine visit or discuss other options, please call us at 773.388.1600.
Telehealth Checklist: Getting Ready for Your Appointment
Before you start your telehealth experience, here are some helpful tips to ensure you get the most out of your visit.
- Find a quiet, private space. Choose a place where you can meet with your provider that is quiet, confidential, and comfortable. This could be a room in your home or somewhere at work, such as a private meeting room.
- Install Zoom on your computer or download the smartphone app ahead of time. Howard Brown utilizes Zoom, a cloud-based video conferencing tool, for telehealth visits. In order to make the most of your visit, install the application beforehand and familiarize yourself with the layout.
- Double-check your sound and video. It’s important that you can hear and see your provider during the visit. In order to ensure your visit goes smoothly, test your camera, microphone, and speakers/headphones.
- Be prepared for the possibility of technical difficulties. Internet outages and other occurrences happen. Your medical provider is here to support you and will reach out to support and alternate ways to connect.