Medical Assistant (Float)
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
REPORTS TO: Site Office Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt (Hourly); Full-time
LOCATION(s): Howard Brown Halsted, Clark, Sheridan and 55th
HOWARD BROWN HEALTH is an innovative health and human service organization focusing on the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. Howard Brown provides a unique network of programs and services to the community, addressing the medical, social and research needs of its clients. To learn more about our Howard Brown Health, please see our web page at www.howardbrown.org.
Under the supervision and direction of the staff nurses and primary care providers, provides direct patient care and clerical support. Performs other related duties as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carries out policies and procedures developed to maintain infection control and safety.
- Performs duties according to approved policies and procedures relating to OSHA and Standard Precautions.
- Performs routine clinical functions to include but not be limited to: vital signs, weight, blood pressure, urine sugar/protein dips, and hematest.
- Multiple site assignments as needed.
- Will follow role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards, and participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts.
- Records data collected in appropriate EMR system.
- Reports patient observations to the responsible provider or staff nurse.
- Performs lab procedures as assigned, collects, labels, and processes all specimens including urine, stool, sputum, and blood as required.
- Provides patient with appropriate requisition, information and instruction for ancillary tests and procedures ordered by physicians.
- Stocks inventory and ensure cleanliness of examination rooms, equipment, and work area.
- Reports medical and office supply inventory needs to supervisor.
- Prepares specimens for shipment to external lab ensuring that specimens are ready and picked up by courier in accordance with designated courier schedule.
- Checks spiceworks voicemail and route phone messages to providers or nurses.
- Ensures that specimens are processed in accordance with established Howard Brown research protocol.
- Maintains patient flow.
- Participates in quality assurance process via data collection, evaluation of results, and implementation of recommendations.
- Participates in research project participant recruitment as directed.
- Performs data entry into Centricity as needed (i.e. referrals, depression collaborative)
- Demonstrates commitment to Howard Brown core values, mission, and vision.
- Participates in huddles.
- Performs medical reception functions.
- Mandatory attendance of department meetings.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Generally pleasant environment. Will need to work some evenings or weekend as required. Space is limited and must be shared for optimal usage. Required to work at all Howard Brown locations as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Medical Assistant certification from an approved school
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Certification MUST be current
- Previous experience in a health care setting dealing with HIV/AIDS clients and written or communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Displays initiative in the work setting
- Must demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.