JOB TITLE: Dental Administrative Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Patient Services
REPORTS TO: Site Office Manager
LOCATION: Howard Brown Health 63rd St
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt; Hourly
Provides a variety of reception services for clients, patients, and visitors including: greets and directs all visitors, collects and records client/patient payments, assists in obtaining all third party payer information, conducts financial assessments, answers and directs phone calls, schedules appointments, calls clients to confirm their appointments, calls clients when schedules change to reschedule clients; ensures that all client/patient services rendered are entered into the data base on a daily basis. Supports dental care delivery by preparing treatment room, patient, instruments, and materials; passing instruments and materials. Depending on training and experience, duties may include assisting in performing procedures in compliance with the Dental Practice Act.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Greet and direct all Howard Brown Health visitors with behaviors that balance professionalism and create customer loyalty. Notify Howard Brown staff of all visitors, take messages and provide basic referral information within the scope of knowledge and training.
- Focuses on customer’s well-being and HIPAA confidentiality.
- Input demographic information, billing information and insurance into dental management system.
- Conduct financial assessments for designated patients as described in the policy and procedure.
- Verify insurance benefits for all patients, upon change of insurance coverage, and/or an annual basis. Document covered benefits on the insurance verification form.
- Assist Patient Accounts Manager in billing and collection of patient accounts.
- Collects co-payments
- Checks ID and Insurance card for all visits
- Ensure patient compliance with agreed payment plan.
- Assist in development and revision of billing policies and procedures.
- Participate in agency wide quality assurance and improvement as needed.
- Reviews procedures and makes suggestions for improvements that will positively affect patient loyalty, employee comfort- and Howard Brown’s profitability
- Maintain patient and financial records within standard dental record and accounting and HIPAA procedures.
- Check-in and check-out all patients using the time clock within dental management system.
- Schedule appointments for all dental patients including all follow-up appointments.
- Maintain balanced cash banks for all research studies stipends and cash drawer.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist’s access; suctioning; passing instruments.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies; pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
- Generates patient referrals to specialists as ordered by Dentist, using the appropriate channels as dictated by the patient’s dental insurance carrier.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Safeguards confidentiality of the medical charts/records and complies with all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to medical records.
- Participates in all required team meetings and continuing education in-services.
- Adheres to Howard Brown Core Values and Customer Service Expectations.
- Participate in emergency preparedness plan as dictated by the policy and procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Previous dental experience
- Knowledge of HIPAA, OSHA, and regulations pertaining to the practice of dentistry in Illinois.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work with an interdisciplinary team
- Bachelors degree or completion of dental assisting certificate/training program
- Experience working with Dentrix
- Experience working with GE Centricity
- Experience working with the LGBTQ community
- Fast paced environment
- Space is limited and must be shared for maximum capacity.
- Employee will be exposed to dental equipment and materials normally used in delivery of patient care in a clinical environment.
- Work hours may vary due to clinic schedules
- Work areas may vary depending upon clinic needs and would include clinical chairside assisting, clinic dispensaries or sterilization areas, patient registration, clinic business services and reception, or clinic area administration
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 25 pounds
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at HBH Care made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.