Call for Candidates
Howard Brown Health is calling for candidates for its biannual Board of Directors elections. Directors give their time and talents to share their unique ideas and skills with Howard Brown staff and, if elected, make an impact on the organization’s governance.
Directors are required to participate in board and committee meetings, provide good governance and oversight, and embrace the Howard Brown mission.
To achieve greater representation of patient populations and a deeper bench of expertise, the Howard Brown Board of Directors seeks candidates for the Board who reflect one or more of the following priority characteristics:
- Cisgender Women;
- Latinx Identified;
- 18-29 Years old;
- Practicing Clinician, RN, Physician Assistant, MD/DO, or healthcare administration experience highly desired;
- Professional experience in Philanthropy or Corporate experience highly desired;
- Institutional South side connections.
In all cases, candidates should demonstrate:
- Commitment to LGBTQ+ communities;
- Support for the mission of Howard Brown; and
- Capacity to contribute toward the work of the Board and the organization
Priority consideration will be given to candidates who rely on Howard Brown for primary care, including diverse socioeconomic status patients, and those who have a record of support for the organization.
Please see a summary of Board membership requirements below. We are currently in the process of screening interested individuals and if this sounds like something you might want to try, please take a few minutes to fill out our application.
Please email BoardManagement@howardbrown.org with any questions.
Board Service Expectations
Members of the Howard Brown Board of Directors assume broad fiduciary and governance responsibilities for the institution. Service on the Board demands at least 8-10 hours per month, charitable giving, and ongoing contributions of ideas, opinions, skills, and spheres of influence. The performance of each Board member is evaluated at least annually against the requirements below. Howard Brown Board members are expected to lead with Feet, Head, and Heart:
Feet – Participate Regularly & Fully
- Attend no fewer than 9 monthly Board meetings per year (attendance and prep time is approximately 3 hours per month).
- Join and participate in at least one standing committee (approximately 4-5 hours per month).
- Participate in the organization’s annual meeting (March) and full-day Board retreat (July).
- Attend Howard Brown fundraisers, symposium, and community events, as available.
Head – Provide Good Governance & Oversight with Informed Decision-Making
- Participate in Board activities to determine future directions and strategic priorities.
- Annually set and review individual performance as a Board member.
- Participate in the CEO’s and Board’s annual performance review.
- Monitor performance against the agency’s clinical measures, budget, and strategic plan.
- Participate in the annual budget-making process.
- Stay well-informed of annual regulatory compliance activities specific to Federally Qualified Health Centers.
Heart – Embrace and Express the Mission
- Give financially at a level you determine is generous for your level of income.
- Invest time in networking and learning opportunities to better support the organization.
- Demonstrate commitment to the mission by organizing special events, serving on special committees or assisting with special projects.
- Participate with Howard Brown as an engaged community member, patient and/or volunteer.
- Encourage others to utilize Howard Brown services and support the organization charitably.