JOB TITLE: 47th Street Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
REPORTS TO: Site Medical Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt; Full-time
The role of the 47th Street Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant in a community setting is a response to society’s demand for accessible quality health care to all populations regardless of socio-economic status. The 47th Street Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant will serve as a care team member at an integrated care setting primarily serving people living with severe and persistent mental illness. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitates entry of the patient into the health care system, by assessing the primary health care needs, including eliciting comprehensive health histories, performing physical examinations, ordering and/or performing pertinent diagnostic tests, analyzing collected data to determine client health status and formulating a problem list (diagnosis)
- Provides coordinated, continuous and culturally competent primary health care to clients that span the health continuum through mutual goal setting and planning delivery of care
- Prescribes a variety of treatment modalities to meet physical health, behavioral health and illness needs
- Support patient and community behavioral and mental health care through collaboration with an integrative care team including psychiatry providers, behavioral health consultants, primary care providers, nurses and other disciplines
- Collaborates with community health nurses and other medical providers to assure that health teaching and counseling is provided
- Meets average monthly provider productivity standards including, but not limited to, number of visits
- Follows role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards and participates in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts
- Manages and evaluates the plan of care, process and outcome and then modifies the plan as needed
- Adheres to collaborative practice principles of respect and joint decision making when consulting with health team members about managing the client treatment plan
- Follows clinical practice standards (protocols) related to each health care providers role and responsibilities
- Assures continuity by obtaining hospital privileges at designated hospitals as directed by Chief Clinical Officer
- Collaborates with other multidisciplinary professionals and community agencies to provide high quality care
- Coordinates services in conjunction with other team members to meet patient’s primary health care needs and to ensure the continuity of care
- Assumes the responsibility for maintaining competence in clinical practice by:
- Engaging in mentor/mentee relationships with experienced mid-level providers and physicians to gain clinical expertise
- Developing and maintaining a patient panel as clinical competence is achieved to enhance continuity of care and meet organization productivity standards
- Participating in appropriate educational activities in order to maintain Board certification and continue professional growth
- Practices within the legal and ethical guidelines established by the Medical Practice Act and the Specialty Standards of Practice
- Documents comprehensive, accurate and continual data on clients’ records and program reports according to organization standards
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, American Medical Association (AMA), American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG), American College of Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American academy of nurse practitioners, American academy of physician assistants, private funding sources, Organization plans/policies and Unit guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluative reviews and/or in-house and external staff training to ensure that he/she understands and continues to adhere to such standards.
- Provide care to 47th Street populations with flexibility of some rotation to other sites if desired
- Other duties as assigned
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Education and/or Experience:
- At least 2 to 3 years of clinical experience
- Previous experience providing primary care to patients with severe and persistent mental illness
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, patients and the general public
- Knowledge: Knowledge of the principles and practice of medicine and the structure and function of community health centers.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Skills in communicating effectively with patients and their families.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Active Illinois Nurse Practitioner License or Active Illinois Physician Assistant licensure, plus current DEA registration, Board certification in a specialty area (must be completed within two years of employment), documentation of a Medical Degree from an accredited APN or PA-C program.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.