Broadway Youth CenterYouth Services at Howard Brown
We serve as a safe haven for LGBTQ youth.
Services Provided by Broadway Youth Center:
- HIV/STI testing
- Health services clinic, including gender-affirming hormone therapy, PrEP, pregnancy tests, birth control options, vaccines, and basic needs medical care
- One-on-one assistance signing up for health insurance
- Resource advocacy, including ID replacement, housing referrals, food stamp and job application assistance
- Drop-in services (e.g., food, clothing, youth-led programming and leadership opportunities)
- GED program, high school and college tutoring, or college application and scholarship assistance
- Community Outreach and Education
- Behavioral Health Services
BYC Location BYC – Wellington Avenue United Church of Christ (WAUCC), 615 West Wellington (at Broadway) Transit: CTA-36 Broadway bus, Belmont Red Line, Wellington Brown and Purple Lines Accessibility Services at BYC-Wellington are wheelchair accessible.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 3 – 8 pm (Last appointment taken at 7pm). Wednesday: 10 am – 2 pm (Last appointment taken at 1:30pm). BYC offers confidential HIV testing (mouth swab) and STI screenings for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test) with results in one week. Syphilis testing provided during Health Services Clinic hours. Need your testing results or want to find out if they’re in? Contact one of our health educators at 773-299-7621. No appointments necessary, walk-in only.
With the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you may qualify for free expanded healthcare! We can meet with you one-on-one to discuss your healthcare options. We will explain information in simple and plain language, answer your questions and enroll you in healthcare benefits that best fit your needs. The Benefits Enrollment Counselor works with other BYC and Howard Brown Health programs to provide resources and referrals for healthcare specifically tailored for youth and transgender individuals. For questions about ACA and assistance enrolling in healthcare benefits, call Cassie Warren at773-935-3151. BYC offers treatment for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomaniasis (trich), bacterial vaginosis (BV), yeast infections, HPV (warts), and HSV (herpes). Provides pregnancy tests/options, birth control options, gender-affirming hormone therapy, PrEP, and basic medication and flu/cold season care. No appointments necessary. Walk-ins only.
615 W. Wellington (at Broadway) BYC provides referrals for housing/shelter, identification needs, employment assistance, and basic needs. This program can be accessed through drop-in services or by appointment. For a referral to one of the Resource Advocates, call 773-935-3151. Please see below for a full list of Resource Advocates: Sadie Baker at 773-299-7615 or SadieB@howardbrown.org Sarah Daoud at773-299-7609 or SarahD@howardbrown.org
Offers a safe space for LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness to access:
- A place to hang out with your friends, dance and listen to music, make some phone calls, pick up some supplies, and get something to eat Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: Noon – 3 p.m. For more info, contact Kylon Hooks at 773-299-7624 or KylonH@howardbrown.org
- Clothing Vouchers Wednesday, 11 a.m. Limited slots available and must be scheduled in advance with a resource advocate. For house/furnishing needs, contact a resource advocate for an individual visit.
- Laundry Please sign up Fridays at 1:30 p.m. during Drop-In hours. Laundry will happen at 4:30 p.m. at an off-site location. Meet at Wellington Ave UCC.
- Youth Food Bank By appointment with a resource advocate or during Drop-In hours.
- Peer Advocate Project Project for and by youth of color that builds youth leadership through harm reduction, anti-violence, and anti-oppression frameworks. For more info, contact Maya Patitucci-Cruz at 773-299-7626 or email@example.com
- Community Meetings and Youth-Led Workshops For more info, contact Mayadet Patitucci-Cruz at 773-299-7616 or mayadetPC@howardbrown.org.
To schedule an appointment, call our main line at 773.935.3151
To schedule an appointment for the GED program, high school and college tutoring, or college application and scholarship assistance, contact Adrianna Collis at 773-299-7601 or adriannaC@howardbrown.org.
TYRA Broadway Youth Center 615 West Wellington Wednesday: 5 -7 p.m. TYRA is a fabulous group for transgender and gender nonconforming youth 12-24 to share a meal and talk about issues affecting our community. For more info, contact Myles Brady at 773-299-7604 or mylesB@howardbrown.org. COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION Workshops and presentations: With the goal of HIV/STI prevention for young people, workshops include topics of sexual/reproductive health, safer sex, healthy relationships, self-esteem, transgender 101, how to be an ally and more. These workshops are inclusive of all genders and can be tailored to youth, service providers, and adult ally audiences on a sliding scale fee. Tabling and testing: BYC is happy to support partners in events that promote the health and well-being of youth and LGBTQ folks. In addition to HIV/STI testing, we provide information on BYC services, educational materials and free safer-sex materials including a variety of condoms, latex and non-latex barriers (dental dams, finger cots, gloves), and lubricants. If you are interested in partnering with the BYC for Community Outreach and Education, contact Latonya Maley at latonyaM@howardbrown.org.