Application for Clinical Training Opportunities
Students pursuing a Master’s in Counseling, Social Work, or Psychology and looking for a second year Field Placement OR students pursuing a PsyD or PhD in Psychology and are looking for a Therapy or Advanced Externship are encouraged to apply. Please submit the following application materials to the Associate Director of Training & Development in accordance with the current year ACEPT dates:
- Cover letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from academic and/or clinical staff (preferably from clinical supervisors who have familiarity with applicant’s clinical skills).
- Transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Writing Sample (case conceptualization preferred)
Please submit the above documents (email preferred), ideally in one application packet, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the volume of applications, please do not mail your application.
The Howard Brown Health Behavioral Health Services Clinical Training Program abides by the guidelines set forth by the Association of Chicagoland Externship and Practicum Training (ACEPT). For more information on ACEPT, please go to www.aceptchicago.org in accordance with ACEPT guidelines, the following timetable will be followed:
- Friday January 27, 2023 – Practicum student applicants can begin to submit their applications (applications close February 10, 2023).
- Tuesday March 6, 2023 – Sites notify students whether or not they are being interviewed
- Friday March 24, 2023 – Pre-notification Day (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) – Practicum students who are first choices for placement will receive notification that they will be offered a space for the 2022-2023 training year.
- Monday March 27, 2023 – Practicum student applicants will be given formal offers of practicum positions via email beginning at 9 a.m. Please consult ACEPT website for further instructions on this year’s match process, which includes a pre-notification day on Friday, March 22.
Please know that Howard Brown Health is committed to training Doctoral and Master’s level students who are studying in related Behavioral Health fields. Although MSW students are not required to follow the exact same application dates as Psychology/Counseling students, MSW students are encouraged to send in their materials along the same ACEPT timeline to increase their chances of accessing a training placement with Howard Brown Health. MSW positions will be filled as soon as qualified applicants have been identified.
Current Howard Brown employees and volunteers:
Current Howard Brown Health employees and volunteers are welcome to apply for placement. If an employee or volunteer has a high level of contact with Behavioral Health Services and there are questions about too much overlap, the department will determine whether the placement would place the staff at risk of multiple relationships.