Take your first steps toward family with us.
Howard Brown Health offers Queer Family Building for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community. Our program provides holistic, affirming care to individuals, couples, and families as they prepare to build their families. Whether it is through at home insemination, intra-uterine insemination, surrogacy, fostering or adoption, we can help connect you to affirming care and resources. We strongly believe in a comprehensive approach to health and wellness, and Queer Family Building reflects this by offering medical care, referrals, and social support services to program participants.
Alternative Insemination (AI)
AI Orientation Group
This orientation session occurs on the second Thursday of every month, unless otherwise specified. The session is designed for individuals or couples who are considering alternative insemination as a way to grow their families. Participants will learn about insemination methods, choosing a donor and sperm bank, negotiating insurance/finances, and potential obstacles to a successful insemination process.
Participants will also receive a referral list that provides legal, medical, mental health, and birthing resources that are specifically tailored to the LBTQ+ community, as well as a comprehensive list of reading materials to help prepare for conception, pregnancy, and parenting as an LBTQ+ person. Participation in this session is required before moving forward with the AI program. One-on-one orientation with one of our Queer Family Building specialists is available for those who cannot attend the group session.
Pre-registration for this session is required.
All participants enrolled in our AI Program have access to a patient advocate who can provide ongoing education and resources to individuals, partners, or family groups as they navigate the AI process. This patient advocate works closely with medical providers to ensure seamless and efficient care throughout all stages of conception and pregnancy.
Our medical care component includes:
- Pre-insemination testing and health screenings to ensure insemination and pregnancy is as medically safe and successful as possible
- A follow-up appointment with the provider to discuss the results of the health screenings
- Intrauterine inseminations
Known Donor Consultations
For people considering starting a family using a known donor, we offer a consultation to provide people with the knowledge and resources they need to approach the process of using a known donor. This consultation will go over interpersonal considerations, potential costs, medical concerns, legal considerations, and how to do an at home insemination. If you are interested in scheduling a known donor consultation email QFB@howardbrown.org
Queer Family Building Support Groups:
- Alternative Insemination Support Group:
- Third Thursday of every month at 6p.m.
- For any LGBTQ+ people attempting pregnancy. It’s a space to meet other people, share resources and find support.
- Queer and Trans Parents Meet-up
- Fourth Sunday of every month from 10 – 11 a.m.
- A virtual space to meet other fellow queer and trans parents, share resources, and access support.
- Trans and Nonbinary Pregnancy and Conception Support Group
- Fourth Thursday of every month at 6 p.m.
- Share space with other trans and nonbinary people who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or parenting.
To learn more, please email QFB@howardbrown.org