JOB TITLE: Laboratory Services Technician
REPORTS TO: Manager of Laboratory Services
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt; Hourly
Performs various aspects of laboratory services for all Howard Brown Health clients, patients, and research participants, including specimen handling and preparation. Processes and handles human blood, urine and stool specimens to include phlebotomy duties.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform/complete processing of specimens from daily clinic primary care schedule for delivery to Howard Brown contract laboratories: process orders for contracted laboratories, ensure proper handling, temperature, and delivery; maintain specimen integrity and order accuracy. Prepare specimens for shipment to external laboratories ensuring that specimens are ready and picked up by courier in accordance with designated courier schedule.
- Perform onsite, rapid HIV testing as part of the Walk-In/STI Services Program; maintain all logs and pickup schedules for specimens going to the IL State Lab and the Chicago Department of Public Health Laboratory. Maintain specimen integrity and accuracy.
- Attend to phone calls, phone notes and chart flags for lab result critical values and abnormal results. Forward them to the appropriate clinical staff in a timely manner. Monitor test results and ensure proper resulting to patient charts.
- Maintain designated training manual for client services and specific research laboratory procedures. Complete ongoing training with procedures and protocols.
- Work with specific research project coordinators on designated research projects to ensure appropriate laboratory processing as dictated by research protocols. Ensure that specimens are processed in accordance with clinical research protocols. Maintain updated IATA shipping certification.
- Maintain and upkeep all laboratory equipment according to Howard Brown Health standards.
- Carry out policies and procedures developed to maintain infection control and safety according to OSHA Laboratory Safety Guidance and Blood Borne Pathogen Standards protocols; perform duties according to approved policies and procedures relating to OSHA and Universal Body Fluid precautions.
- Work with the Laboratory Services Coordinator to maintain the laboratory and its operations in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Work with clinical staff to improve procedures/flow for patient requiring laboratory testing; work with contract laboratories to maintain updated information on test offerings.
- Maintain levels of laboratory supplies as needed.
- Attend medical services and research meetings as required.
- Attend training and continuing education as required or requested.
- Communicate effectively with all team members/all staff.
- Performs other duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School Diploma and professional training in clinical laboratory/healthcare setting is required
- Phlebotomy license is required; MA license preferred
- Knowledge and experience with laboratory regulatory rules and guidelines including OSHA, HIPAA, and JCAHO, and familiarity with CLIA laboratory environments are required
- Previous experience working with HIV/AIDS clients is preferred, as is sensitivity working with LGBT clients
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit.
- The employee must use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- The employee must reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Fast-paced environment. Space is limited and must be shared for most efficient usage. Primary work environment is a laboratory and is subject to OSHA Laboratory Safety Guidance and Blood Borne Pathogen Standards.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.