JOB TITLE: Director of Nursing
REPORTS TO: Chief Clinical Officer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Director of Nursing is a leadership position with direct and indirect patient care responsibilities. The primary responsibility of this position is overseeing and managing the RN staff at all Howard Brown Health sites. Secondary responsibilities include providing direct nursing care to complex patients, coordinating staff compliance with OSHA and directing the HBH employee health program. The position requires strong leadership and communication skills. Management experience and direct clinical care experience including patient assessment, ambulatory care nursing and triage is a must.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide nursing subject matter expertise to executive leadership
- Evaluate and modify nursing staff best practices, standards of care, standing orders, and procedures as needed according to current trends in primary medical and nursing care.
- Implement current or new clinic best practices, standards of care, standing orders, and procedures regarding daily support staff activities and monitor for adherence, usefulness and effectiveness.
- Evaluate knowledge base and skills of nursing for optimal competency and provide and/or coordinate appropriate staff trainings.
- Provide direct feedback to staff and management in areas where safety or patient care is compromised as a part of risk management team.
- Actively participate in problem-solving for nursing staff in difficult situations; serve as central resource for nursing staff. Coordinate and lead nursing team meetings as needed.
- Responsible for hiring all RN staff and maintaining appropriate staffing levels.
- Perform performance reviews for nursing staff. Formally assess performance of nursing staff on an ongoing basis. This includes the development of expectations and performance standards, appropriate counseling in relation to performance, corrective discipline, annual formalized discussions of position descriptions and expected job tasks, and appropriate redirection and task correction as necessary.
- Devise and/or update system for triage, including communication patterns, protocols and policies which allow for safe and efficient decisions.
- Assigns day to day clinical and administrative duties to nursing staff and communicates nursing staff schedule and schedule changes to all departments. Maintains scheduling procedures for nurse staffing. Coordinate time-away requests for nursing staff; review clinic schedules daily and weekly to adjust staff according to patient need.
- Coordinate nursing patient flow, troubleshooting of scheduling difficulties, walk-ins, late patients, and emergencies.
- Provide nursing care and education to patients/clients, their significant others, and staff in a compassionate manner, and apply human relation and customer service skills in establishing good rapport.
- Works with site managers to review and evaluate need for new medical supplies and medications.
- Works with Director of Practice Management and participates in evaluating patient care flow, systems, efficiency, and communication and identify areas for improvement.
- Work with Compliance to ensure departmental activities and records adhere to regulatory requirements , for example: infection control.
- Work with Department of Education to maintain clinical competency through continuing education, recertification (including CPR), and clinical practice.
- Facilitates communication and problem solving for departments; leads or serves on committees.
- Oversees and verifies completion of nursing quality assurance activities such as completion of STI treatment result audits, nursing chart audits, morbidity and mortality reporting, verification of timely response for telephone nursing desktops and telephonic nurse triage
- Evaluate nursing productivity across sites and balance nurse staffing ratios to support clinical care most effectively.
- Adhere to Howard Brown Human Resources Policies and Procedures.
- Actively participates in fulfillment of organization’s mission, vision, and core values..
- Follows role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards, and participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts
- Adheres to OSHA standards in delivery of care to all patients.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.