Recovering With PrideCounseling and Therapy at Howard Brown
Welcome to Recovering with Pride.
The Recovering with Pride program has helped people from all walks of life who want to explore or change their substance use and other life circumstances. Change is possible.
How we work
Our dedicated team has extensive experience working with the LGBTQ community. All therapists have training and backgrounds in working with substance use and mental health disorders. Our therapists are licensed social workers and psychologists who work from a variety of evidence-based, trauma-informed therapies. We partner with you in order to help you find relief in the ways you want to. Howard Brown Health is licensed by the State of Illinois Department of Human Services to provide multiple levels of outpatient substance abuse care.
- Substance abuse assessment and treatment recommendation (including court-ordered, but not DUI evaluation)
- Individual counseling/psychotherapy
- Group therapy
- Couples and family sessions as needed
Group participation is a proven method to explore and improve mental health and substance abuse concerns. Our groups are not limited to a specific substance, gender identity/presentation or sexual orientation. All are welcome. Groups are open, which mean you can join any time after completing an intake assessment. Consistent attendance is encouraged.
Common drugs of choice often discussed in groups include:
- Crystal meth
- Pills – like Xanax and pain medication
Harm Reduction Group
Mondays, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
An affirming, non-judgmental group where clients can explore their substance use, get support for making choices that align with their values, and learn tools to help them reach their goals. With consistent ongoing attendance, clients will:
- Work on specific harm reduction strategies that prioritize safety
- Learn about withdrawal symptoms
- Address triggers for substance use
- Set goals for use for each drug of choice
- Explore the impact of substance use on relationships, work, school, and physical and mental health
To learn more about this group, please call Kristin Reitz, LCSW at 773.388.8908.
Wednesdays, 6 – 7 p.m.
Open to those who feel clear on their goals for substance use and who have some understanding of the impact of using on their lives. This group usually works best for those who have completed some therapy in Recovering with Pride or other substance treatment program or those who have done some 12 step or SMART work on their own. Group topics include:
- Relapse prevention
- Increasing social connection
- Maintaining positive changes
To learn more about this group, please call Sara Hays, LCSW at 773.572.8362
If you are looking for or need detoxification, inpatient care or sober living options, our team has a network of LGBTQ-sensitive providers in the community who can help. We work with the staffs at Haymarket Center, Chicago Lakeshore Hospital, and Advocate Illinois Masonic, among others, to ensure that clients receive the care they need. We encourage you to call our Recovery Line (773.388.8891) if you have questions about community resources and supports.
getting into treatment:
- Call the Recovery Line at 773.388.8891 to talk to a staff member to complete a phone screen. After your phone screen, staff will recommend treatment options and inform you of next steps.
DO NOT LET FINANCIAL CONCERNS STOP YOU FROM CALLING FOR HELP.
Howard Brown Health is a member of numerous mental health networks and accepts a variety of insurance plans. Howard Brown Health also offers discounted medical care, psychiatry, and mental health counseling to patients who are uninsured and have low income. Please speak to a staff member for further information.