JOB TITLE: Community Health Registered Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Medical Services
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager
FLSA STATUS: Full time; Non-exempt
HOWARD BROWN HEALTH is an innovative health and human service organization focusing on the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. Howard Brown Health provides a unique network of programs and services to the community, addressing the medical, social and research needs of its clients. To learn more about our Howard Brown Health, please see our web page at www.howardbrown.org.
Under Nursing Administrative supervision, perform nursing duties and telephone triage for designated Providers of Howard Brown Health. Serve as team member in Medical Services, sharing duties with LPNs, MAs/Phlebotomy staff, patient services staff, medical records, and/or other personnel as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as liaison between patient/client and Providers. Answer all patient/client inquiries for assigned Providers regarding health issues. Serve as advocate for patient/client for both internal and external referrals.
- Provide education, screening and treatment, following standing orders, to clients presenting through the STD, syphilis and hepatitis walk-in clinics
- Coordinate medical care with other providers as required, schedule patient follow-up internal and external appointments as instructed by Providers
- Initiate, execute and maintain necessary insurance, disability forms, AIDS case reporting, reportable disease morbidity forms and other forms as required
- Will follow role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards, and participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts.
- Evaluate all patients’/clients’ ability to understand health plans, perform health education as needed, and notify appropriate Provider as necessary.
- Provide nursing care and education to patients/clients, their significant others, and staff in a compassionate manner.
- Perform lab procedures as assigned. Collect, label, and process all specimens including but not limited to urine, stool, semen, sputum, and blood. Ensure that specimens are processed and shipped in accordance with established Howard Brown laboratory policies and procedures along with research protocol. Notify providers of alarm values found in lab reports. Provide patient/client with appropriate requisition, information and instruction for ancillary tests and procedures ordered by Providers.
- Perform routine clinical functions, execute nursing skills and treatments. Maintain accurate and necessary patient documentation in accordance with all regulatory bodies.
- Apply human relation skills and customer service skills in providing patient care and in establishing good rapport.
- Execute Phone Triage responsibilities: performs a systematic, comprehensive interview of the caller/patient/client to determine the urgency of the patient’s problem. Accurately documents data for all calls including, but not limited to, patient/client demographic information, chief complaint, recommendations for home treatment, and referrals to primary care provider, alternative health care provider or emergency services. Performs and documents follow-up calls with patients as necessary to help ensure positive outcomes.
- Make referrals to the appropriate level of care within an appropriate period of time.
- Schedules same-day appointments or follow-up appointments with the patient/client primary care provider or alternative health care provider as necessary
- Provide counseling, home treatment advice, and crisis intervention according to established protocols and standards of care.
- Maintain clinical competency through continuing education, recertification (including CPR), and clinical practice.
- Adhere to Howard Brown Human Resources Policies and Procedures.
- Actively participates in fulfillment of organization’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Adhere to OSHA standards in delivery of care to all patients.
- Participate in Quality Improvement process via data collection, evaluation of results, and implementation of recommendations.
- Perform other duties as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Registered Nurse, one to two years experience in a hospital or outpatient setting preferred.
- Comprehensive Primary Care Nursing experience performed in an ambulatory/outpatient setting preferred.
- Must have current Illinois nursing license.
- Specialization in OB/GYN and/or Peds is highly regarded.
- Knowledge and experience with multi-ethnic, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender clients and issues desirable.
- Requires ability to speak audibly and listen actively.
- Requires ability to use computers, telephones and other office equipment.
- Requires ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- May require occasional bending and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Space is limited and must be shared for most appropriate usage.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please start the application process using the link below. Applicants should submit both their cover letter and resume into our ADP system for consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.